chocolate zucchini loaf ;
2 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups grated zucchini (packed)
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Grease two medium-sized loaf pans.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients -- flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon. Mix with a fork until completely blended.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine all wet ingredients -- eggs, applesauce, oil, vanilla. Mix with a fork until completely blended.
4. Grate at least two regular-sized zucchinis.
5. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Add zucchini. Use an electric mixer to blend completely.
6. Fold in chocolate chips.
7. Pour into pans, each about halfway full (or just over).
8. Bake for roughly one hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
• I recommend taking the loaves out about halfway through (once they've risen, but the middles are still wet) and covering them with tinfoil. This will keep the tops from burning and help make sure they're moist throughout.
• I've found that this recipe can support up to 4 cups of zucchini before the texture starts to seem off, so if you wind up with a little more than 3 cups, you can still throw in the extra.