buttermilk banana bread ;
1 & 1/3 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp nutmeg
4 large bananas, mashed (should be roughly 1 & 1/2 cups?)
1. Preheat oven to 300° F (150° C). Grease a large loaf pan, or two smaller ones.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Then add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Mix until blended.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine all dry ingredients -- flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon. Mix with a fork until completely blended, then dump into wet ingredients.
4. Mash up all four bananas and add those in too.
5. Mix until completely blended. If adding optional extras, fold those in now.
6. Pour into pan, and let bake for roughly an hour. (Use a toothpick inserted into the center to determine if it's done. If toothpick comes out clean, answer's yes. If it comes out web or crumby, it needs to go back in.)
7. Let cool for 10 minutes in pan before removing.
• Optional ingredients: 1 cup chocolate chips, or 1 cup crushed nuts of your choice. Or hell, do both! 3/4 cup of each!
• Non-stick loaf pans are kind of important, since loaves like to fall apart with half of them still stuck to the bottom of the pan. So go for non-stick pans and GREASE THEM ANYWAY. It won't hurt you, I promise. (I also recommend easing them out by sliding a knife in around all four sides and kind of using it to pry at the bottom a little before you turn it over.)